This research was begun at the Social Investment Lab in Portugal with the invaluable knowledge, support and inspiration of Antonio Miguel and his team. Dan Miodovnik, from Social Finance, also joined us to share his genius and passion. Dan and Antonio’s work with Social Finance was the original inspiration for this paper, and each continues to push the boundaries of what is achievable.
There are many incredible people building performance management systems across the globe without recognition. This paper attempts to capture the experiences of a few of the pioneers in this field. Their generosity of time and ideas is greatly appreciated. Many thanks:
- Jenny North Impetus-PEF
- Lili Elkins ROCA
- Andrew Levitt Bridges Ventures
- Isaac Castillo DC Promise Neighbourhood Initiative
- Pedro Sampaio Impetus-PEF
- Val Jones Social Enterprise North West
- Julie Peachey Grameen Foundation
- Michael Etzel Bridgespan
- Sandy Martin Connecticut Center for Social Innovation
- Daniel Leach-McGill Good Beginnings
In addition, immeasurable value was added by reviewers:
- David Gilchrist Curtin University
- Alisa Helbitz Social Finance
- Anton Simanowitz The Business of Doing Good
- Geetha Rabindrakumar Big Society Capital
- David Hunter Hunter Consulting
- Emilie Goodall Bridges Ventures
- Tris Lumley New Philanthropy Capital
- Suzi Young Think Impact,
- Katrina Cross Triodos Bank
Our words were diligently edited by Clare Wesley, Neil Tomkinson and Jenna Pozzi. Photographs were kindly contributed by Donna Howard, Lien Sargent and Rachel MacLennan. And final thanks go to Simon Potter, who brought it all together with his graphic design magic.
This paper is a collection of stories and insights. It does not necessarily reflect the individual opinions of the people involved, or the official positions of the organisations and governments they represent.